Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What is wrong with me

On the outside Ashlynn appears to be totally normal. Trying to eat everything in site, laughing playing, rolling over trying to figure out what these toes are for. But a lump was discovered on her lower left back. At first we thought it was a bump from a fall or something. We were not worried at all. But we took her to the Dr.'s the next day anyway. They took an x-ray, couldn't determine anything, then an ultrasound and still nothing conclusive. They then scheduled us an MRI at Children's Hospital, about an hour south of us. To give a baby an MRI they have to go under anestesia so they dont move. Whenever anyone has anestesia they cant eat for like 8 hours. We freeked! Ashlynn got her big cheeks from chomping about every two hours. How were we gonna get a hungry baby down to an MRI without crying the whole car ride? The answer is carefull planned feedings by Tami. It worked! It was almost as if Ashlynn knew. After the MRI we met with aDr. Gow, who after looking at decided he needed to get a biopsy of it. That ment more anestesia and of course more planning from mom. She got a little cranky the last 10 minutes before the procedure, but her spirits were great.
Fast foward about 5 days and Dr Gow Calls and send the bump or tumor was cancerous, and it had AML Leukimia cells in it. "So Dr. ar you telling me my 6 month old baby girl has cancer?", he said, "Yes, I am very sorry".
It did not seem real to us, how could it be. We were so upset, who wouldnt be? Upset is an understatement. Why Why Why? I prayed and prayed they were wrong. It was like a bad dream. I felt like it was my fault. ( I know that is impossible, but a lot of feelings come)
Dr. Gow made an appointment on Feb 6th for us to meet with the oncologist ( cancer Dr.) She agained confirmed the diagnosis and wanted us to check in ASAP. That scared me! I said we cant do that. But we can come back at 10 tonight and check in. We went home and met Adam & Kelly and all of Tami's family to eat dinner together help pack and just be together.

2 comments:

  1. Im so sorry it happened to your family... That's tough. But there is a reason for everything. Though we don't know yet what it is and Why it happened... but to children and followers of God, we know that there is always an answer to the question. And that He will give it to us in the right time.

    Ashlynn will make it. She will survive. She is strong and a fighter. She is always in my prayers every single moment of my day.

    I was so sad when Steve told me about it cause i know how it feels. Last friday was way so hard for me. I became very emotional cause when i read your post in this blog, it made me recall or it flashes memories about my late sister Honey... back the day the doctor confirmed that my late sister had a cancer. It was so hard... (im not gonna state in detail cause it is making me weak and making me cry). :( its making me miss her so much.. So anyway, I understand how you feel.I know that it is not easy.

    But good thing about her case is early detection always have a better or good prognosis. Also, another good point is that the cancer cells are localized and are negative in the marrow nor in the spinal fluid and blood yet. Those are great points.

    Thank you for making this blog. Thanks for keeping your viewers posted.. She is in our prayers a thousand times a day. And you and your whole clan. Be strong...

    Let me know when you and Tami need help. I am willing to volunteer. We can tend to your baby when you need us (you guys need rest). I am available fridays and weekends.

    God Bless to Ashlynn and to her loving family.

    God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beverly sent me an email requesting for prayers for baby Ashlynn. I am reading you blog right now . I have a one year old baby. I can understand how as parents you must be feeling. I can assure you of our prayers .The only place of comfort is in the arms of Jesus really! and i know that he is closer to you now than ever!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You For Your Comments.